Instagram Reels – your ultimate starter guide
How to make 2022 a success with Reels
One thing’s for sure: Video content is seriously trending. In 2022, the “new” Instagram Reels give users the chance to create their own short, fun videos. The video clips can be up to 60 seconds long, and you can even add background music. What’s not to like?
Quick win: Keep your videos as short as possible and as long as necessary. After all, we are swamped with a flood of information when we’re browsing our social media channels. The result: Our attention span has become relatively short.
Do you still ask yourself why YOU should start using Reels? Read on to find out!
4 reasons why you should use Instagram Reels for your business
Your organic reach is declining, the algorithm is killing your content? And you don’t know how to change it? We’ll tell you how to do it! The answer is simple: with Reels! After all, Instagram tends to favour new features. Read on to find out more!
Using Reels to boost your reach
In the upcoming months, Instagram’s focus is said to be on the following four aspects: creator, video, shopping and messaging, with a special emphasis on video content. Adam Mosseri, Head of Instagram, recently described the app’s future as follows: “Instagram is no longer a photo-sharing app“. This makes it quite clear that Instagram wants users to create more Reels – and rewards them if they do so. Consequently, if you want to generate viral reach, Reels are a must! The best thing about it: You don’t have to pay to achieve a high organic reach!
Using the Explore Feed for channel growth
Clicking the “Reels” icon at the bottom of the app will take you straight to the Reels Feed. It contains video clips by (mostly) new creators. Based on the user’s interests and previous interactions, the algorithm uses this area to display relevant content. If an account looks interesting, you can click “follow” in the same window or visit the respective page.
Ideally, this will result in users that match your target group as well as in more followers – and, ultimately, more customers.
You think creating Reels involves expensive video equipment, elaborate storytelling strategies and lots of preparation? Don’t worry: The focus here is on entertainment.
Reels are more about fun and creativity. Whether it’s behind-the-scenes footage, an introduction of a new employee or a product launch: Instagram Reels give companies, brands and content creators the chance to increase their visibility by way of originality and creativity. What’s more, it’s a useful way to make your company seem more “tangible” and less “perfect”.
So, try something new, show users your personality and offer your followers entertainment and added value!
1 video – 4 stages
Once you have posted a Reel, it first appears on your own Reels Feed. However, before uploading your Reel, you can choose to post it in the general News Feed as well.
Our recommendation: Activate the “Share to Feed” feature so more people can see your content! What’s more, Reels are also displayed in the Explore Feed, giving them an additional awareness boost.
Last but not least: You can also share your video clip with your followers as a Story.
Are you eager to create your own Reels now but don’t know how to do it? Here are some basic dos and don’ts:
- Use the right format: The ideal size for Reels is 9:16 (1,080 x 1,920 pixels).
- Use captions: This helps your community to understand your videos even better.
- Add text in the right places: Keep your text away from the edges and place it in a central position so it doesn’t overlap with your captions.
- Use different features: Make your videos more interesting by using audio, AR effects (e.g. green screen) or subtle filters.
- Use a call-to-action: Encourage your community to interact with your content! Ask them questions, encourage them to comment, save or follow.
- Preview your thumbnail picture: Instagram will automatically cut your Reels video thumbnail into a square. Our tip: Select “Crop profile image” to edit the cover image thumbnail.
- Attract attention: The first 8 seconds count! Capture your audience’s attention with a hook to keep up their interest.
- Stay true to yourself but don’t be afraid to try something new!
- Don’t use your TikTok videos for Instagram: The Instagram algorithm doesn’t like videos with a TikTok watermark because it’s seen as advertising.
- Don’t post low-quality Reels: Avoid videos that are blurry, that were shot in poor lighting or that have a low resolution.
- Don’t post videos that violate Instagram Community Guidelines: no Reels containing hate speeches, violence etc.
- Don’t delete a Reel just because it has little views: Reels don’t have an expiry date. Often, they only go viral a few days or even weeks after having been uploaded.
- Don’t use music that doesn’t come from the Reels Library.
- Don’t create content that contradicts your brand personality: Always keep your target audience in mind and tailor your content to their needs.
Quick win: Keep in mind that Instagram wants users to spend as much time on the app as possible. So the key to Instagram success are captivating, creative videos with the power to attract attention.
7 Reels ideas for your business (including examples):
Now you know about the benefits of Instagram Reels and what to keep in mind but still need some inspiration? No problem!
To help you kick-start your Instagram Reels, we have compiled seven useful content tips – all of them with examples! Enjoy!
How-to videos are popular and effective. They are also a nice way to explain or highlight certain aspects of your product or services.
Another idea is to post tutorials that your users can follow.
3. Meet the team
Show the people behind your product or company! Alternatively, you could also do an interview with industry experts.
Everything’s fast on social media. If you want to be a part of certain trends or challenges, you have to be quick. The advantage: Chances of going viral are high.
You have an important company event coming up? Let your users be a part of it or announce an event via Reels!
Reels offer numerous benefits for companies and brands. They help you increase visibility and are an easy way to share entertaining content with your target group. However, the same is true for Instagram Reels as for any other platform: Make sure that your content matches the requirements! Keep in mind that Reels are mainly about creativity, fun and entertainment!
Our recommendation: The sooner you get the hang of Instagram Reels, the better!
Do you need professional help creating your Reels or coming up with a concept? Reach out to us, and we’ll kick-start your Reels together!