The project involved several challenges, including technological aspects as well as content issues. For instance, there was a fair amount of inconsistent, poor-quality data as well as duplicate content and content that wasn’t suitable for the needs of the target group. To get an overview, the project started with a comprehensive content performance analysis. Following this analysis, a series of workshops helped to identify the holiday region’s core themes. Based on these results, a new navigation structure was created.
The challenge: Drawing a clear line between the content of steiermark.com and that of the eleven regions in order to avoid duplicate content. To simplify this process, the content experts of punkt & komma created a customer journey together with the representatives of Styria.
The special nature of the project
Following the creation of a new navigation concept, the platform was gradually filled with relevant content, with several copywriters and content managers working at full steam.
All in all, the team …
- created 180 content pages in German (including keyword research),
- translated them into English,
- and entered them into Pimcore.
Inspired by the fruitful collaboration between Styria and punkt & komma, the entire process was then adapted to the eleven regions, and the following tasks were carried out:
- HPCU analysis of the existing content
- persona creation for every region
- kick-off workshop to identify the core themes, based on the previously created personas. The goal was to single out those topics that made each region special and relevant to the users.
An example: Hiking is possible in more than just one region, making further fragmentation necessary. For instance, the north is perfect for more alpine tours, while the Mediterranean south and east offer beautiful hiking trails through the wine-growing areas.
And that’s not all: During the course of the project, other tasks were successfully implemented:
- creation of a navigation strategy and identification of (new) core themes for the regions
- support with content creation (ranging from consulting services to an all-round content package including text, translation and data entry)
- ongoing alignment of content for steiermark.com (brand content) and regional content (basic content)
An agenda for the upcoming months has already been drawn up. It involves a set of SEO and content monitoring measures to ensure that the presented content is always up to date and tailored to the users’ actual search intent.
At the same time, ongoing monitoring and evaluation processes serve to identify relevant topics. What’s more, constant updates ensure that information on attractions and tours as well as magazine articles are always up to date.
The result: Readers are always provided with up-to-the-minute information. Plus, regular updates and the ongoing creation of new content boost the site’s Google performance.
That’s because new or modified pages and articles signal to the search engine that the website is “fresh” – which in turn plays an important role for Google’s ranking algorithm. All in all, this makes sure that users are always provided with the most relevant and up-to-date hits for their respective search queries.